Sunday, July 18, 2010

Ms. Arlene R. Crenshaw featured at "Black Pearl Magazine"

Intimate Conversation with Arlene R. Crenshaw

BPM: Please tell us a little bit about yourself, Arlene.
I’m a 48 yr. old woman with one son and two grandchildren. I raised my son on my own. We struggled many of days but we made it. I am blessed in many ways and I'm so grateful. I lost my job about a year ago for something that was not my fault. It was difficult trying to find work after working for so many years. I prayed everyday for God to help me find something in this world that I would enjoy doing, and in a dream a voice came upon me (God) and said to me. “You are here for a purpose and it is to write and inspire people.” Something I’ve done all of my life…inspire people. Who would thought that I would be writing novels today, you see dreams do come true if you believe.

BPM: Tell us about your latest release, Twelve Roses For Uretta
The Book is called “Twelve Roses for Uretta” This is a true story of a mother’s struggle with domestic violence, while trying to raise her eight children. This story is told through the eyes of Uretta's daughter (Erica) who carried the burden of not being able to help her mother because she was just too young, plus Erica's own secret she was never able to tell her mother’ before her mother's untimely death.

BPM: What specific situation prompted you to write your book? 
My story is a true story and after the death of my mother, life was never the same for me again. For years I suffered with depression and anxiety because of my past. Finally one day I decided it was time to take control of my life and by doing that it prompted me to write my book “Twelve Roses For Uretta.” 
The book tells of the domestic abuse my mother endured from her husbands, and the secret her daughter Erica never got to tell her before her untimely death. The more I wrote my story the more I began to feel better about life. I started to notice that all the pain that was embedded within me and even the things in my life I blocked out, was now coming out and I felt renewed, then a sense of healing within. After all the adversity I had been through in my life, I was now starting to live my life, and know I live my life beyond adversity.


BPM: Who do you want to reach with Twelve Roses For Uretta and the message within? 
My book also brings about awareness to a problem that exists sometimes right under our noses, and many just ignore it sometimes to the point that it’s to late to recover. There are a lot of people that would like to ignore that domestic violence is present in their lives or a loved ones. I grew up around it, I’ve met many women who have gone through it and I know many who still do endure domestic violence everyday. My message is that love shouldn’t hurt, anyone who loves you wouldn’t do anything to damage you in anyway whether it’s mental or physically. Love shouldn’t hurt.

BPM: How will reading your book, Twelve Roses For Uretta, shape the readers lives? 
I hope by reading my story that it helps someone to think twice about being in a relationship that involves domestic violence and my greatest hope is that an abuser reads this novel and changes his or her ways…because you know that an abuser does not always have to be male. Love shouldn’t hurt.

BPM: What are some of their specific issues, needs or problems addressed in this book? 
Two specific issues are “warning signs” most abusers love to be in “control” and they’ll work day and night on your “self-esteem” trying to destroy what ever fight or little fight you have to stand up for yourself, and break you down to your lowest point. Do not allow anyone to take your power.

BPM: Share with us your latest news or upcoming book releases. 
I have a new book coming out July 2010, called “Hidden Closets” a book of fictional short stories. The stories will hit close to home for many!  This book journeys into the minds of people with jaw dropping hidden secrets. They never want people to know about their REAL side, for fearing of being exposed to their real truths. Visit my website for excerpts and other news.

BPM: How can our readers reach you online?
Readers can reach me at arlene_crenshaw@yahoo.com,  arlene crenshaw@facebook, and my website is http://www.mscrenshawbooks.com   I also post a daily quote on Facebook and Blogger I call it “My quote of the day” which I share everyday.  I try my best to inspire people to believe in themselves and to let no obstacle stand in their way, no matter how difficult life or challenges in life may seem.


Excerpt from Twelve Roses For Uretta by Arlene R. Crenshaw

For as long as I can remember, I witnessed the men in my momma’s life abuse her mentally and physically, these were men she swore to love, honor, and obey till death do them part. I was the third to the oldest of my momma’s eight children, and I started noticing the abuse on my momma when I was around four or five years old. I remember hearing her screaming from being beat up and this “boom booming,” sound as if something or someone was hitting walls or even being thrown or slammed into them, my name is Erica and this story is through my eyes. This is a true story about my momma and me together; and the years I grew up with her.
Why, did my momma have to cry and suffer so much in the name of love?

Growing up in my momma’s home was very uncomfortable, scary and traumatizing these uncomfortable feeling stayed with me day after day, year after year; these feelings were embedded deep in my mind, body and soul for a long as I could remember, not that I haven’t had my own issues to back me up, but growing up with my momma my, sisters, and brothers there were a lot of very painful times and so many memories that I’ll never forget. The things I heard, felt and saw started my life out as just plain old misery, sadness and traumatizing to my soul.


Pick up your copies of Twelve Roses For Uretta today!
ISBN-10: 0557309204 | ISBN-13: 978-0557309207

Twelve Roses For Uretta can be found at Amazon 
Twelve Roses For Uretta can be found at Lulu

Twelve Roses For Uretta can be found at my website 
http://www.mscrenshawbooks.com  and http://www.shaphire48.blogspot.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment